In this era where everything is done with machines and human labor has been reduced by more than half, it is only understandable that human activity is getting more and more limited every day. With every new model of machine that comes to the market, it is designed to minimize the human effort and give us the complete luxury. This is a time where the only activity we need to do is check if the machines have been working properly or not. With a lot of spare time in hand, what are the right choices to make? An outdoor game or sport is a great choice as it keeps your physical health in check while helping you get the best use of your leisure time. One great light sport or game is golf. Imagine yourself out in a vast meadow of green lawn where you can connect with nature as well as enjoy some light sport. Sounds down to earth, doesn’t it?
So if you are a beginner in golf, here is how you can make the best of it.
First, learn the basics. All you need is a club, a golf ball and a hole in this game. Here, you need to choose the right club according to your comfort. A wood is usually light made of wood or lightweight material and also called as drivers as they are used to hit the ball for long distances. An iron has more weight and is made of heavier metal. These are used for short to medium range shots. A putter is light and usually special because when used with precise control, they can give you the perfect swing. So choose according to your preference with the golf ball shot.
Then comes practice. Practice makes perfect and golf might be hard and boring without a little practice. So first, learn how to maintain a good stance. Stand while facing the golf ball on its side with your feet and shoulder width apart and relaxed. Bend slightly at the knees and give your hip a little push as you lean your spine towards the golf ball. And don’t forget to grip the club with both hands.
After you have a well-balanced stance you practice your swings. Take your club all the way to the up and around you and lead the swing with the head of the golf club first. Then let your hands, arms and shoulders follow simultaneously. To end, twist your hip a little. This gives your swing the extra power. After this, practice your motions with little wrist adjustments while bending your back leg and leaning your front leg with balance.
All you have to do now is learn the rules and terminologies. The rules are simple. Everyone takes turns to hit the golf ball until everyone has sunk the ball in the hole. The one who sinks the ball with the least tries wins. And despite where the ball lands, the player must hit the ball. Once the game is over, you can change to a new hole.
Doesn’t golf sound pretty easy now?
Sports and physical activity are quite enjoyable ways to spend time. But did you know that they offer several significant advantages for your physical and mental health?
- Physical activity reduces the risk of heart disease. Various studies have discovered that exercise can strengthen the heart and facilitate the blood flow and delivery of oxygen to the organs of the human body. Also, regular physical activity boosts levels of high-density lipoprotein (also known as “good” cholesterol) and decreases levels of unhealthy triglycerides (fat in the bloodstream), making the blood flow smoother and decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- One of the biggest benefits of regular exercise is its ability to improve mood and relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. Physical activity helps the human body release endorphins, the “happiness” chemicals, and reduce the level of stress hormones.
- Physical activity associated with weight or resistance training increases and improves the function of joints, bone density, and muscle, tendon, and ligament strength. Particularly, strength training can prevent and manage osteoporosis, although every type of exercise is generally capable of that. You can say that any type of activity that improves posture can result in this effect.
- Another benefit of exercise is weight loss. Increased expense of calories and specialized diet both contribute to the weight loss and better weight control of an individual. The more active you are the more calories you use. Even relatively low-intensive kinds of activity (such as taking stairs instead of lift) can help burn more calories.
- Physical activity equates longer life. Research by the Harvard-affiliated Brigham, Women’s Hospital, and the US National Cancer Institute discovered that around 150 minutes of brisk walking per week can increase the life expectancy by 3.4 years. 650,000 people were involved in their 10-year-long study. Even obese people (those with a body mass index of more than 30) who engage in regular physical activity were discovered to have longer expected life than inactive people with normal weight. Generally, the more we move, the longer we are likely to live.
- Physical exercise improves the activity of the brain, and latest studies have shown that it benefits our memory. Researchers from the US compared two groups: one that had exercised for one month and one that hadn’t. The active group performed better in memory tests.
- The blood flow to the genital region of the human body improves sex life of both men and women. Studies have shown that physically active men and women are less likely to develop an erectile dysfunction and more likely to achieve orgasm respectively.
- During exercise, you get tired, which helps you fall asleep faster. According to a study conducted by Oregon State University, people who have at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a week sleep significantly better.
Physical activity doesn’t have to be heavy strength or intensive aerobic training to benefit your health. You can have fun, exercise just to catch up with your friends, and enjoy running and jumping outdoors, and you will gain the same benefits. It is even better if you are happy with your physical activity. So, if you are exercising regularly, know about the benefits of sports. If you are not so physically active, think about adding exercise to your routine to make your life a little bit better!